- April 1, 2019
Darewise Entertainment is a VC-backed AAA games studio with one goal: to revolutionize online games.
Based in Paris and led by the creative vision of Viktor Antonov (Valve, Bethesda), David Bowman (Bungie, Telltale, Crytek) and Benjamin Charbit (Ubisoft), we combine international experience and disruptive creativity to deliver the games of tomorrow. Using Unreal Engine 4 and Improbable’s SpatialOS we focus on building gigantic open worlds, where players write their own stories and take fate into their own hands. We create the impossible.
If you dream of pushing the boundaries of online games, then join our international team !
We are looking for an experienced and talented Lead Online Services Programmer for an upcoming persistent world game! Online services encompass a multitude of services used not only by the game itself but also by the many tools involved in operating the game. In this age of games as a service, all of these are vital components of an online game’s architecture, which drives forward operations, customer service and new developments. As the lead and architect of the online services, you will design those solutions, and build a team of developers to implement them.
Services and responsibilities may involve:
- Primary game database
- Data collection and analytics
- Game API for third party tools
- User management and authentication
- Live operations and customer support tools
- Customer facing portal
- Deployment of servers and updates
- Operating at scale
Security and privacy
Darewise is committed to building a culturally diverse team and strongly encourages applications from female and minority candidates.
Please note that all positions are full-time, on-site in Paris, and English is our office’s working language. As such, only English language applications will be considered.
- Take ownership of the existing online services, and design and implement the solutions going forward, working closely with the technical director
- Oversee the online services team, defining the roadmaps and sprints, delivering technical leadership, and recruiting new team members
- Evaluate a multitude of technologies, libraries and frameworks in order to design state of the art solutions for all the online services
- Integrate the various online services with the main game codebase
- Ensure the performance, scalability and robustness of the online services game in the very unpredictable context of a large-scale, persistent world game
- Ensure there are no surprises by maintaining test environments and robust deployment processes
- Competitive salary (based on experience) with stock options.
- 7 weeks of paid holiday and flexible working hours.
- Relocation package including EU working visa assistance if necessary.
- Benefits package including private health insurance, pension and public transport.
- Unlimited budget for your workspace hardware, software and tools.
- Monthly free games to be up to date with all the latest release.
- Fully stocked fridges.
- Working within a small, highly motivated team who are passionate to succeed.
- Living in Paris, one of the most iconic and exciting cities in the world.
- 5+ years backend development with experience in running services at a similar scale as an MMO or persistent world game
- Very strong experience of database architecture and query optimization (SQL and NoSQL)
- High awareness of state of the art web-related technologies and architectural trends, both backend and frontend
- Experience working with cloud hosted services on Amazon and Google clouds
- Knowledge of the latest security best practices
- At least intermediate C++ and c# skills with an excellent understanding of software architecture principles (UML, design patterns, web services architecture)
- Understanding of client/server architecture and multiplayer games
- Appetite for learning and staying ahead of the curve by keeping in touch with cutting edge technologies and techniques
- Passion for making games, self-motivation, driven to creatively solve problems, interest and willingness to participate in all the aspects of game development
- Positive, collaborative and professional attitude while working under multiple deadlines.
- Strong English and communication skills, comfortable working with non-technical people and remote teams.
- Based in or willing to relocate to Paris, France.
Also nice to have:
- Experience with game development and in particular game-related online services is not strictly necessary but very appreciated
- Experience with Unreal Engine 4
- Cross-platform experience: PC, Linux, Consoles…
- Personal interest in MMO games and virtual worlds
Our recruitment process consists of a preliminary application screening, HR Interview, Lead Interview, and Executive Interview, with on-site interview as the final step in the process. In special cases, exceptions or modifications can be made.
Note: Though our office is located in Paris, English is our official office language. As such, we request for all applications to be submitted in English; non-English applications will not be considered.